9.15.2010

And so it goes...

...I'm tired. Real tired. This is not a sympathy plea, my fatigue is 100% my fault. Here's how my Monday turned out.

Up early as I am most days, sending out communication about Tuesday's Grand Slam at Writing Wrongs. Leah was feeling sick from the weekend (I blame the paint fumes, yo) so she stayed at home with me until I went to work at 5pm. Left work at 9 on a bullet train, came home for a few before one of my boys came over and we saddled up and rode to Gamestop around 11pm. For this:



Did I mention that I'm a gamer? Some would say Hardcore Gamer, though I know other would dispute that since I don't play any Massive Multiplayer Online (MMO) games such as World of Warcraft. That's fair, I still gets mines in whether it be on my PC or my Xbox 360 OR my PS3. Don't ask how much money has been spent on this ventures, it will only make your head leak reason


So anyways, after securing the package, four of us total converged on one house, got connected and played the campaign of Halo Reach together...till 9:30 am. Long Day's Night yo. And yes, I just evoked the Beatles while talking about a game where you use a shotgun. Deal with it.

After coming home, I did not gain the kind of sleep I wanted, more the kind of sleep that just makes sure your body doesn't shut down on you if you push it for another 12 hours. I had to make my way to work at 3pm, handled a boring 4 hours with some surprising zeal, then headed home to eat something before sprinting to the night. Oh yeah, we're on Tuesday now and its Grand Slam night. Ya know, I didn't enjoy this experience at all to be honest. Yeah, there's that "ooh, I'm 30 years old and its been so long since I stayed up all night for no good reason" euphoria to it, but for me...I like being functional. That is all. And I would like to be a 100% going into a Grand Slam (which hasn't happened since '09's Team Grand Slam).

By the time I get to the night, the people are starting to fill the room and there is that identifiable Grand Slam potency in the air...which did nothing to pick me up. Whatever adrenaline I had pumping thru me at work was starting to wind down and I probably could've fell asleep in the back of the room even w/ Krate Digga spinning and I would've have felt even bad about it. Not even a little. It wasn't till Jason Brazwell's third School Daze "WAKE UP!" reference to me and the infectious Barbara Fant showed up did I seem to be with it.

As for the slam, the long and short of it is that I won, which I appreciated doing with poems I've written pretty recently. I feel like they have the potential to do well at IWPS, so its back to the hack, chop and trim lab with these babies. And the slam was fun! Very fun. I give Spike a lot of shit about his effieciency at times, but truth is, he runs a fair and fun slam, so that's really all you can ask for.

My favorite poets in the slam last night were Izetta (who finished second) and Quartez. Both of them have grown so, so much as writers and performers and I'm proud to say that Writing Wrongs had something to do with that.

So, I got sleep last night, but I think a part II is on order before work tonight. By body is still unsettled gelatin right now and I'm trying really hard to keep it together. At any rate, I'll be seeing you in Charlotte. Werd (as my girl Zuni would say).

No comments:

Post a Comment