6.28.2010

Some random ish...

...been a while since I posted. I realized that I started a blog (livejournal) more so to see what others around me might have going on in their lives a lot more than I did to share with others. But I felt like updating, so here we are.

...marriage is pretty cool so far (read=very fucking cool). Though to spurn more writing activity from myself, I've contemplated doing at least a weekly 'Awesome and not-as-awesome things you discover when you get married' column within my blog. I'll start that next week.

...I'm pretty hyped to say that with Robbie Q's blessing, the first Encyclopedia Show-Columbus is going down on July 22nd. Sawheet! We've got some awesome poets contributing of course, with the lovely Kim Brazwell and myself hosting and Mr. President Scott Woods as the Fact-Checker. I know, you peed on yourself, just a little. Its ok. Our first subject is VILLAINS! Can't wait.

...Started back to school today. Been a minute yo. Trying to get back into the groove while trying to get into an MFA for Creative Writing. I'll keep you abreast of the progress.

...So, I am elated and frustrated to all hell with my slam team. Well, definitely more elated as the frustration may be a fix not far off the horizon. Lets just say I had a poet relocate here, make the squad, and then firmly plant a stake in back of my neck that he slowly taps with a mallet. I'm exaggerating, but its teaching me to embrace my inner-republican more and stop trying to be peace and love and hair grease with everybody.

...I did a show in Richmond, IN and get heckled for the first time since I started doing poetry. I don't even know if you can qualify it as heckled. Long story short, I did a feature. A new piece I have is entitled, 'Unsolicited Advice to a Drug Dealer' If you can't see the sarcasm dripping off of that title, lets just say its not the most flattering appraisal to a cocaine distributor. There might be a line in there suggesting that you wrap saran wrap around you own mothers face...maybe. So, well after my set, they are doing a second round of open mic and a guy calls me out from the mic and says, 'Hey man, that poem about the Drug Dealer you did really hurt me man because I used to deal to help my momma out man. You make your money however you can man, ain't no judgement in how a man makes his paper.' He gets applause for this. I knew the Klan was born in or around Richmond...seems strangely ironic I get push back about an anti-drug dealer poem.

...I kind of want to venture out and do features without venturing out. Is that possible yet, have we developed holographic Skype capabilities that allow me to do a show in Nebraska, then walk off stage go back to my man cave and watch Boondocks reruns on my HDTV? Guess not huh? Seriously though, I do want to hit a spot or two at the end of this year or beginning of 2011, but preferably spots I haven't been to yet. Like the plains area, south and southwest. We'll see.

...Did I mention I'm really excited for Nationals? It will be my last National team for a while. Since I started slamming, I've been on five consecutive slam teams and the talent of this team is good enough for me to put my slamming boots in the closet for a while no matter where we finish. I do plan on doing IWPS again this year though. Even though I have no tattoos, I'd imagine that making Finals stage is similar. I always wanted to make Finals stage, but it wasn't make or break for me. Then I did make Finals and now I just want the opportunity to get back. Over and over again. The fact that I had 3 new poems still in reserve when I made Finals last year (and didn't trust myself to kill the performances) and I'll have a pretty new set going into this year...I'd say I'm excited to see what happens in Philly

...So...who's been watching the Boondocks. I...I just don't know what to make of it this season. Good, very good, I'm enjoying it. But this is similar to Chappelle's second season with them pushing the envelope, except we didn't know about Chappelle's future (until he signed the ill-fated $50M contract) and we know Boondocks isn't coming back. My favorite episode so far? Probably a tie between The Fund-raiser (where Riley is dealing candy bars like the dope game) and the Tyler Perry episode. Seriously, I want my friends that are Tyler Perry fans to watch that episode and defend his productions after that. But as far as lore goes, something tells me we'll be talking about the Jimmy Rebel episode years after the fact. Its either genius or one of the most offensive 24 minutes of television that was allowed to be aired. I don't know yet.

...Some recommended viewing for you all: 1) Treme (HBO). If you like the Wire story telling (and if you don't, then what the hell are you doing on my journal, begone!), then you'll dig this show. 2) Breaking Bad (AMC). Seriously...its the best show on TV. Period. PERIOD. M. Night suspense, except the payoff doesn't suck balls

...speaking of which...if M. Night fucks up Avatar: The Last Airbender, its gonna be a problem. Like, if I find him, some furniture is gonna get moved around. That's his only warning. After the fraud that was Signs, he didn't get any money out of me for the Village or The Happening, so I can't be too mad at him now. But I'm spending some money for Avatar: TLA. In 3-D mind you. Don't fuck with me M. Night. I'm serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment