12.21.2009

Arizona & the Big Boat Ride Home: 3

When we last spoke, I had just finished performing at Black Pearl Tempe & Phoenix while being wowed by a phenomenal 13 yr musician Alex Aiono. On Saturday, Edward, the beautiful Tamika (part of the Black Pearl Arizona team) and I ventured to Tuscon for the Ocotillo Slam. Great night, great poetry. Doc Luben was a great host and super entertaining throughout the night. I got my first extended look at Lindsey Miller who won the slam and was quite impressed. I now feel sorry that I was out of town when they came thru Columbus together. I'm sure it was a hell of a show. As for me, I think I did my best feature of the tour. I got to do 3 new poems that I wrote after the tour started two weeks ago and they felt right. Just right. Again, a great night.

Back in Phoenix on Sunday night for the Home Base Poetry night. For those familiar with Black Pearl when it was in Columbus (at the Brownstone), it was like that, on steroids. About 250 people, 90% black, filling up a hotel ballroom for nothing more than poetry. Very interesting evening. I did a 3 poem set and got a standing 'O', which felt like a good way to end the tour.

As for personal goals that I set out at the beginning of the tour, I did marginally well: Wrote 5 poems, which all feel like keepers.
I didn't finish the essays, but I did write the outlines and framing for two of them.
Did not eat any meat or dairy. And you know what, I feel pretty ok.
Did not get any running done, though I did work out...some. The weather really fucked with my ambition of running.
As an unforeseen accomplishment, I sold out of all my books, which I'm pretty proud of since I got 50 of them shipped to me on Monday while I was still in the Bay.

Overall, I had an amazing, amazing time and loved every locale I hit. I'll write a more decompressed wrap up of the trip when I get the chance. Right now, I'm just focused on getting home to my wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment