2.03.2009

Forest Fire

If I kissed you
Under this tipsy sky
Could you resurrect me
Before it awakes from its slumber?
Before the clouds get their bearings
And discover my body wrapped in silkweed
With traces of your voice still leaving slight bruises
On my shoulders?
Could you break me
And reshape me as a sun dial
So I am useless
When your light is taken from me
Like the Earth was allergic to my parallel
And refused to let me fall
Like you stored magnets in your cheeks
I could never pull away from your smile
Tell me where the sidewalk ends
Tell me this temple you’ve been building
Has walls made of nothing but the sound of you sleeping
I will rest there like a wounded soldier
With his memory cut out during battle
Sleep under my shield
So I am not devoured by your reflection
I want to draw the ocean
You dream of being rescued from
The scarf you think is much too warm to wear
On most days
And prompts you to expose yourself to the unknown
The wind at your back that reminds you
Nothing can move you
Not a boulder ignorant of gravity
Not a blizzard who only wants to shed himself
Till he is back to the first snowflake he began as

I miss you in a way
A needle misses the inside of forearms
How guitar strings hate to love the notes that leave it
I want to bring a forest fire to your open sky
So you can see
That you are above
Majestic things
Destroying themselves
Shackle your ankles to summits
And watch you move mountains
When you dance
This waltz of volcanoes imploding
Holding in the tears of watching
You paint gods across
The landscape from your footsteps

If I kissed you under this tipsy sky
Would you tell my mourners
I died a hero
That you held me like a noose
When you hung me from your lips
That I refused to step away from your ribcage
When your heart came barreling down the tracks

I want to bleed sand
When you handle hour glasses
My life rests in your hands
When you hold it sideways
And stop time
I can finally rest knowing
I have no more mountains left to climb
No longer falling down the barrel of stop signs
No more words with heartbreak and your name
Left to rhyme

Every night
The sky drinks its own weight in your eyes
And is too drunk by dawn
To fight off the coming day
We are all the numbing the pain
Of losing what we never really deserved to have
Flying kites during thunderstorms
Trying to forget the taste of safety on our tongues

If I kiss you
I want you to carry me home
Though I’m sure
I’ve never been there
Before

No comments:

Post a Comment